QuakeCoRE 2021 – 2028 Research Programme – Disciplinary Theme 5: Mātauranga Māori
10 am Friday 26th November
|Programme Co-Leader: Anthony Hoete (University of Auckland),
Programme Co-Leader: Christine Kenney (Massey University) &
Programme Co-Leader: Tūmanako Fa’aui (University of Auckland)
Abstract: The Mātauranga Māori research programme will undertake community-oriented and co-designed research to create and innovate Mātauranga Māori (Māori knowledge) that will support the earthquake resilience aspirations of tangata whenua. Research strands will be underpinned by a Te Ao Māori perspective, and co-created with Māori partners to ensure the design and conduct of research projects remain culturally relevant and appropriate. Earthquake hazard management tools and new knowledges that enhance Māori earthquake resilience will be created through bridging cultural and high spec technologies. Knowledge translation/dissemination will encourage understanding within QuakeCoRE of iwi, hapū and whānau perspectives on earthquakes Five foundation projects will:
– Build Maori seismic research workforce capability and engagement between emerging Māori researchers and Māori communities through seismic research wānanga
– Develop trans-colonising seismic education in the tertiary curriculum to facilitate increased engagement from Māori
– Apply Māori engineering research to enhance wharenui resilience
– Create a comprehensive Ngāti Awa / Te Arawa marae database
– Capture coastal Māori perceptions of and responses to seismic risk communication to inform emergency management policy and practices including tsunami risk mitigation planning.
The research programme strategy prioritises (i) establishing connections and points of engagement with iwi; (ii) Documenting community resilience needs (iii) Mapping Māori earthquake resilience aspirations; (iii) creating mechanisms for up-skilling iwi/Māori community research capability, including youth development and conduits into tertiary education (iv) Longer term objectives Māori community-led research projects that are relevant to QuakeCoRE and selecting appropriate research teams with input from iwi stakeholders to conduct the research.
For details on how to join the seminar – return to the 2021 Seminar series home page link
How to join the Seminar
10:00 AM Friday 26th November
(password – 389905)